COUNT DOWN TO CLOSING DAY
It's that time again. Summer break is just around the corner. And your residence hall will soon be closing for the semester. Are you ready to move out? Our FAQs will help you make a smooth transition.
WHEN SHOULD I MOVE OUT?
You should plan to vacate your room within 24 hours after your last exam. Residence halls officially close at noon on Saturday, May 4, 2019.
HOW SHOULD I GET READY FOR CLOSING DAY?
Check your walls. Remove all tape, stickers, posters and sticky residue from walls and ceilings. Removing adhesive is time consuming. If your walls aren't clean, you may be billed. CAREFULLY remove Command strips or hooks, as removing them often causes paint damage if not done per product instructions.
Pick up your trash. Remove trash from your room before you leave. The Main Desk in your hall will have garbage bags handy. Trash chutes at the ERC (Towers) will be closed from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Use dumpsters only for bagged garbage. Big, bulky items (like that old carpet) should be placed beside dumpsters (not in dumpsters). And if you have recyclables, please help out the planet and use the appropriate bins located in the trash areas. If you don't remove your trash, you will be billed.
Double-check the furniture. Leave all furniture in the same condition, location and set-up as you found it when you moved in (unstack bunk beds, un-invert headboard and footboard). Also, make sure that curtains, blinds and desk lamps are in their proper place. If furniture is missing, damaged or set up incorrectly, or head or footboards are inverted, you could be billed. Be sure to remove all items - including trash - from drawers and discard. Check your desks, dressers, closets and shelves.
Leave it clean. Leave your room in the same condition you found it - clean and free of trash. Need a vacuum? Ask at your Main Desk. If your room isn't clean, you will be charged (seeing a pattern?).
Don't forget the fridge. MicroFridges should be cleaned, food removed, defrosted, wiped clean/dry and left in your room unplugged. Make sure all racks, ice cube trays, etc., are intact. If you moved rooms without notifying MyMicroFridge, please call them at 1-800-525-7307. Minimum cleaning charges are $25. If fridges aren't cleaned and intact you could be billed.
Return "borrowed" utensils. Maybe a few bowls and plates from the dining halls found their way into your room. Drop them off at the dining hall where you found them or in the collection boxes in your hall's lobby. We won't ask questions.
HOW DO I "CHECK OUT?"
You can check out any time between 8:00 a.m. and midnight. Here's how it's done:
- Move all your personal belongings out of your room (triple-check that you didn't leave anything behind, even unwanted items).
- Close and lock your windows (make sure screens are in), turn off your lights and lock the door as you leave.
- Go to your Main Desk.
- Verify your correct mail forwarding address at the Main Desk and turn in all your keys (at the Main Desk, not to your RA). Keys not returned will result in lock change charges.
That's it! You've checked out!
CAN I DONATE MY OLD STUFF?
Have unwanted clothing, rugs, furniture or other items you'd like to donate to the United Way Blue and Gold Mine Sale? Look for signs posted about drop-off locations around the halls starting finals week or ask for the locations at your Main Desk. Drop off unexpired canned or boxed food, laundry soap, paper towels or related items in bins located in your main lobby - these items will be donated to local food banks. Visit bluegoldmine.wvu.edu
WHAT DO I DO WITH MY ID CARD AND DINING DOLLARS?
Mountaineer Cards can only be used while you're enrolled at WVU. If you're returning next year, remember to bring your ID back (so you don't have to pay to replace it). Mountie Bounty balances carry forward into the next semester, but Dining Dollars expire, so use them up!
WHAT ABOUT MY MAIL?
First class mail will be forwarded for two weeks to the address you give your Main Desk at check out. Visit usps.com/manage/forward.htm to have your mail forwarded to another address while you're gone or to change your mailing address permanently.
Magazines and newspapers cannot be forwarded. Contact the publisher and request an address change. If you know your fall semester address, update it now in STAR. Any fall semester financial aid refund checks will be sent to your local mailing address.
WHEN MIGHT I GET A BILL?
- Staff inspect rooms after the residence halls close. Final charges (if any) will be billed to your WVU Account. Unpaid charges may prevent you from registering for classes or ordering transcripts.
- Inspections will determine who (if anyone) in your unit will be billed. If we can't tell who is responsible, or the RA wasn't told who is responsible, the bill will be divided equally among room residents. It is important that you communicate with your roommate(s) about damages and responsibility for charges and payment expectations.
WHAT ABOUT FOOD?Don't worry! WVU Dining locations will operate at normal hours until Thursday, May 2, 2019.
- Friday, May 3
- Bits & Bytes closes early at 2:00 p.m.
- Brew 'n Gold Cafe closes early at 2:00 p.m.
- Summit Grab 'n Go closes early at 2:00 p.m.
- All other locations will operate at normal hours
- Saturday, May 4
- Boreman Bistro 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- Cafe Evansdale 8:00 a.m. - 12 noon
- Summit Cafe 8:00 a.m. - 12 noon
- All other locations, including the Mountainlair Food Court, will be closed.
- Sunday, May 5
- All locations closed.
- Monday, May 6 - Friday, May 10
- JACS 7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Chick-fil-A 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- HSC Burger Shop 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- HSC Mindful Cafe 7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- All other locations closed
- Saturday, May 11 - Sunday, May 12
- All locations closed