Skip to main content


Residence Hall Frequently Asked Questions

Topic Index

Application Process

How do I get an application?

Once you have paid your academic deposit, you can complete the housing application and pay the $225 housing deposit online through the housing portal at

If you have any questions about housing or the application/deposit process, please contact the WVU Housing Assignments Office at or 304-293-2811.

Residence Hall Assignment Process

When are housing deposits due?

There is no deadline for the $225.00 deposit on housing. However, spaces are available for selection on a first-come, first-served basis, so it’s important to complete the application and pay your housing deposit early. As a reminder, this is an on-line process accessed through the MyHousing Portal. The housing contract is a legally binding document, committing you to live in campus housing for the entire academic year. Deposit money is credited toward your fall term housing fees.

MyHousing Portal

Will I get my deposit back if I do not attend WVU?

If you are not planning on attending WVU, we will refund $125.00 of the housing deposit if we receive your written notification of intent to cancel your contract by June 1 for the fall term or December 1 for the spring term. After this date, deposits are nonrefundable regardless of when you pay the deposit. Application/contracts can be cancelled ONLY if you are not attending WVU. You must notify us via your MIX account with an email to, or you may complete an  online cancellation form

Can I sign a housing contract for one semester?

No, unless you are beginning in the spring term. Otherwise, the housing contract is binding for the entire academic year.

Why do I get an error when I try to apply for housing?

If you haven’t paid your academic deposit you will not be able to start the housing application.  About forty-eight hours after paying your academic deposit you can complete the housing application and pay the $225 housing deposit online through the housing portal at  MyHousing.wvu.eduIf you have any questions about housing or the application/deposit process, please contact the WVU Housing Assignments Office at or (304) 293-2811.

Cars and Parking

Should I bring my car to campus?

Parking on the WVU campus is difficult at best. Due to the limited number of parking spaces available, we strongly advise you to leave your car at home. Don't worry, WVU and Morgantown have some great options to get you where you need to go. Check out the links below! 

Information on Parking at WVU

Mountain Line Bus

Charges and Billing

What are certain charges on my account?

How to View/Print Your Bill

What are the room rates?

There are a variety of room options and rates to choose from. Review the links below for complete details.

Room and Dining Plan Rates
Residence Halls

Dining Options and Dining Plans

What dining plans are available?

There are several dining plan options for students to choose from. Visit the Dining Services website for the complete list of dining options.

Dining Plans

How do I sign up and or change a dining plan?

Students can sign up and or change a dining plan by logging into Need to make changes to your meal plan? Check out Dining Service's website for more information.

Is the dining plan included in the cost of the room?

Because there are different dining options at different rates, the cost of the dining plan is not included in the cost of the room. 

Are students living in residence halls required to have a meal plan?

Yes, all students living in WVU residence halls are required to have a dining plan. 

Guests and Visitation

Is there a visitation policy?

To help keep our residence hall communities safe, focused on student success and ensure the rights of all community members are respected, there is a guest and visitation policy. To view this and all residence hall policies, visit the link below.

Community Standards of Conduct

How do I register an overnight guest?

Overnight guests may be registered at the residence hall front desk and must be accompanied by their host at all times. All guests must show a valid federal, state, or school photo ID to stay in our residence halls. There may be times when the residence halls are closed to guests due to special events and activities. 

Move In / Move Out

Information about the Move In and Move Out Processes

Move-in for fall 2024 will be Thursday, August 15 through Saturday, August 17. 

What to bring? What to leave at home?

What to Bring/What to Leave


Can I live off-campus?

All single, first-year students are required to live in a University residence hall. In addition, transfer students with fewer than 24 transferable credit hours are also required to live in a residence hall.

First-Year Live On Requirement policy

Are there exemptions from living on-campus?

There are a few exemptions that must have prior approval. For more information about this process, visit the link below.

First-Year Live On Requirement policy

Residence Halls

Which residence hall is best?

Each hall has its own individual characteristics and there are a variety of things to consider when selecting the best place to meet your needs. We strongly recommend that you visit our campus to look around and see the halls. We also encourage you to explore the residence halls online and review the amenities, cost and locations that would best meet your needs.

Residence Hall Detailed Information

How many people share my bathroom?

There are different bathroom arrangements depending on which hall that you live in.  

Community Style Bathrooms - This is a large bathroom on the floor that multiple students share. These bathrooms are cleaned and maintained daily by custodial staff.

  • ERC (Towers) 
  • Dadisman

Suite Style Bathrooms - One bathroom is connected to two or more bedrooms. Typically four residents share this space. Residents are expected to maintain the cleanliness of their bathroom, but custodian staff will clean and check them once every three weeks. The university provides toilet paper to students. 

  • Boreman
  • Honors Hall
  • Lincoln Hall
  • Seneca Hall
  • Stalnaker
  • Summit

Pod Style Bathrooms - There are multiple pod bathrooms on the floor that are shared by everyone on the floor. Each bathroom is for a single occupant at a time but it becomes available for anyone when unoccupied. Each bathroom contains a sink, shower, changing area and toilet.

  • Oakland Hall is the only residence hall with this bathroom configuration.

Room & Roommate Selection/Changes

Roommate selection – how does it work? How do I know who my roommate is? How can I contact my roommate

Select Your Room and Your Roommate

How can I change rooms during the school year?

Residence Hall Room Changes

I have someone who wants to live with me, but I already have a roommate. What can I do?  

Once a student has selected a residence hall space we will not move them from that space to accommodate a roommate request. If your preferred roommate does not select the available space in your room and someone else does, you are not permitted to ask the other student to leave the room or to switch rooms . However, while the room change function on the MyHousing portal is active you may switch rooms to a residence hall room that has available space. 

Select Your Roommate

Special Accommodations

The Office of Housing and Residence Life makes every effort to accommodate special needs. We work with the  Office of Accessibility Services to provide assistance and/or accommodations. Students who are covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Accessibility Services, which coordinates services across many different departments.

For disability-related housing needs, please forward documentation and a statement of need to the The Office of Accessibility Services, B20 Stewart Hall, Morgantown, WV 26506. For questions, call 304-293-6700.

The earlier that we are aware of your needs the more successful we will be in accommodating you. Please remember to indicate need on the housing application/contract in the space provided, but do not send the documentation with the application/contract.

Accessible Housing Request Process

Transfer Students

Do I have to live in a residence hall?

Transfer students with fewer than 24 transferable credit hours are required to live on campus and must go through the housing portal at

First-Year Live On Requirement

Do the University Apartments count as a residence hall?

University Apartments do not satisfy the criteria of the the first-year live-on requirement. Transfer students with fewer than 24 transferable credit hours are not eligible to live in University Apartments (or any apartment community in the Morgantown area). 

Work Orders and Maintenance

If a student is experiencing building maintenance concerns, cable problems, internet issues, etc. please review the information in the link below.

Work Orders

Other Topics

What tutoring services are available?

There is a wide range of academic support available to WVU students at the Academic Resource Centers (ARCs). If you would like to know more about the services, some of which are available in residence halls, visit the Office of Student Success website or call 304-293-5811.

What about refrigerators and microwaves?

You may bring your own refrigerator as long as it does not exceed 3.2 cubic feet and 10 amps. Microwaves are not permitted other than those that are a combination refrigerator/microwave unit. These may be rented from 

My MicroFridge during New Student Orientation and upon your arrival in Morgantown. If you order your MicroFridge during orientation or no later than August 1, it will be in your room when you arrive in August. Orders placed when you arrive on campus will be delivered within the first two weeks of the semester.  My MicroFridge will also remove the refrigerator at the end of the year.

What's the weather like in Morgantown?

The mean annual temperature is 52 degrees, and the annual rainfall is 41.2 inches. What this means is that Morgantown enjoys all of the seasons, and the weather is generally mild. There is rain in the spring and snow in the winter. Data can be found at the U.S. Climate Data site.

Can I bring a window AC unit / portable AC unit?

The University does not permit students to bring their own AC units. Please review the residence hall pages to see which halls have AC provided.

What items can I bring and not bring to the residence hall when I move in?

What to Bring/What to Leave

Can I loft and/or bunk my beds?

Beds may not be lofted or bunked for safety reasons. Residents may use plastic risers which may be purchased at mass retailers if they do not exceed six inches in height.  

Is housing provided over holiday breaks?

Housing during official WVU holiday breaks (Thanksgiving, between fall and spring semesters, and spring break) is available in select halls. Additional information and registration is typically available in mid-October. 

How do I apply to be a Resident Assistant?

RA Application Process

With Us