Skip to main content

Procedure for Leaving Residence Halls

If you are making a decision about returning to WVU next semester, we would like to share with you some information about what that means for your residence hall contract. 

Students who decide not to return to WVU after they’ve left Morgantown and are home for the holidays must remove their belongings and return their keys before the start of the spring term. Hall staff should be available Tuesday, January 2 through Friday, January 5, from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. for students to do this. 

Please remember that the contract you signed with WVU University Housing is a legally binding contract for the entire 2017-18 academic year

If you are still attending WVU in the spring and leave the hall, you will be billed for the full room and board charges for the spring semester. Only students who will not be attending WVU in the spring can move out of their residence hall. 

If you are withdrawing from WVU and will not be returning for the spring semester, here is what you need to do. 

Procedure for Leaving the Residence Halls 

  1. If a student is withdrawing from WVU for the fall, spring or both terms, they must withdraw from ALL classes. 
  2. In addition to notifying Office of University Registrar, a student must complete the Housing Withdrawal Form. This form must be completed at the front desk of his/her residence hall between 8:00-4:00, Monday-Friday, unless otherwise arranged with hall staff. 
  3. When a student has completely moved out, they must return any keys they have signed out, leave a forwarding address and check-out with the residence hall main desk. Keys should not be left in the room, given to a roommate, given to the RA or given to a friend. Lost keys should be reported to the main desk immediately. Returning the keys to the main desk (or reporting lost keys) is the trigger that stops room and meal plan charges at the appropriate time (as described in the Terms and Conditions of the housing contract). 

General Information 

If a student indicates that they are not returning to WVU for the spring term, their space in University Housing will be reassigned to another student. 

If a student is registered for spring term classes, they will be billed for room and meal charges until they are no longer registered for courses. 

If a student changes their mind and decides to return to WVU in the spring, room and meal charges will be applied. The contract signed by a student is legally binding for the entire academic year, and you will be billed if the student attends in the spring term regardless of where the student resides. Also, if a student indicates they are not returning but then changes their mind, they will be reassigned to a new room and new roommate. 

Students who do not return keys by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 5 will be billed for each contract day until the keys have been returned and belongings have been removed. 

Please email us at or call 304-293-2811 with any questions or concerns.