Here's a quick overview of what you need to do when you depart campus for Fall/Winter Break.
When should I plan to leave for fall/winter break?
- You should plan to depart no later than Wednesday, November 25, which is when on-campus instruction will end. Students will no longer have access to residence halls until the spring semester.
- Take only what you need to complete coursework and any personal items for fall/winter break. You do NOT need to remove all your belongings from your room. Be sure to take items such as:
- Textbooks, notebooks and any materials you need to participate in class and complete asignments
- Laptop/computer, charging cables, etc.
- Medication, personal care items, etc.
- Clothing (please consider the weather where you will be staying)
- WVU Mountaineer ID
- Debit/credit cards
- Please plan carefully as you will not be able to return to your residence hall room to retrieve items that you may have forgotten. The residence halls, with the exception of those that are open for emergency break housing, will be closed until students return to campus for the Spring semester.
What should I do if I need emergency housing during the Fall/Winter break due to a critical need?
- Break housing for students with a critical need is available from Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. (noon) - Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon). Dates for this break period and the residence hall reopening date for spring semester 2021 are subject to change. Residents will receive advance notice of any changes. For complete information, visit the Fall/Winter Break Housing page.
What should I do before I leave for break?
WVU's Facilities crew will check each room for safety and security, however
help them by completing the following tasks:
- Close and lock your windows.
Pick up your trash. Remove trash from your room before you leave
and put it in the designated areas for your hall. Help out the planet and recycle
what you can.
- Unplug coffee makers, curling irons, etc.
- Do not unplug/turn off your refrigerator. Remove items that might spoil over the break.
- Be sure nothing is sitting on or touching radiators/heating units.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock your door.
- Return "borrowed" utensils. Maybe a few bowls or plates from the dining halls found their way to your room. Drop them off at the dining hall where you found them. We won't ask any questions.
What should I do if I am not returning to WVU for the spring semester?
- There is important information you should know before making your decision. Learn more about the procedure for leaving the residence halls if you withdraw from WVU.