COUNT DOWN TO CLOSING DAY.
Here's a quick overview of what you need to do when you vacate your room at the end of the semester. Complete details will be available in the Count Down to Closing Day brochure which will be distributed to residents the week before finals.
When should I move out?
- You should plan to vacate your room within 24 hours after your last final exam. Residence halls officially close Noon on Saturday, May 5.
How should I get ready for closing day? First steps: clean your room.
- Check your walls. Remove all tape, stickers, posters, and sticky residue from walls and ceilings. Removing adhesive is time-consuming. If your walls aren't clean, you could be billed. Please do not remove 3M brand Command Strips or Hooks, as removing them often causes damage to paint.
- Pick up your trash. Remove trash from your room before you leave and put it in the designated areas for your hall. Help out the planet and recycle what you can.
- Double-check the furniture. Leave it in the same condition, location and set-up as you found it when you moved in.
- Leave it clean.
- Don't forget the fridge. MicroFridges should be cleaned, defrosted, wiped clean with all food removed and left in your room unplugged.
- Return "borrowed" utensils. Maybe a few bowls or plates from the dining halls found their way to your room. Drop them off at the dining hall where you found them or in collection boxes. We won't ask any questions.
- Move all personal belongings out of your room.
- Close and lock your windows.
- Go to your Main Desk and verify your correct forwarding address and turn in all your keys. Please don't give your keys to your RA.
- Donate to the United Way Blue and Gold Mine Sale! There will be information about drop-off locations posted on signs around the halls starting finals week or ask for locations. Unexpired canned or boxed food, laundry soap, paper towels and other related items can be dropped in bins in your main lobby.
What do I do with my ID card and Dining Dollars?
- Mountaineer Cards can only be used while you're enrolled. If you're returning next year, save it to bring it back with you (so you don't have to pay to replace it). Mountie Bounty balances carry forward, but dining dollars expire. so use them up!
When might I get a bill?
- Staff inspect rooms after the residence halls close. Final charges (if any) will be billed to your WVU Account. Unpaid charges may prevent you from registering for classes or ordering transcripts.
- Inspections will determine who (if anyone) in your unit will be billed. If we can't tell who is responsible, the bill will be divided equally among room residents. It is important that you talk with your roommate about these expectations.
- WVU Dining locations will operate normal hours until Friday, May 4.
- WVU Dining Services website lists hours at each location. You can use your remaining Dining Plan swipes and Dining Dollars through finals week.
- Snacks to help you power through studying and exams will be available - check with your RA for the location in your residence.
Hall Opening & Closing Dates
University Residence Halls close during breaks and reopen at the beginning of each semester and after official WVU holidays. To view the opening and closing dates Click Here.