Students who have a critical need to remain on campus during the fall/winter break period may request emergency break housing.
A limited number of residence halls (Oakland East/West, as well as Bennett, Braxton, Brooke and Lyon Towers in the Evansdale Residential Complex), are scheduled to remain open during fall/winter break. Students living in these halls may register to stay in their rooms during the break period. A limited number of spaces have been designated in the Evansdale Residential Complex (Towers) for students who live in halls other than these four.
- Residence halls will close on Wednesday, November 25 at noon for all students without an advance registration for fall/winter break.
- Advance registration is required (Registration Deadline - Friday, November 13).
- If there is little or no demand in any of the four residence halls designated as fall/winter break housing, Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to close one or more of these locations and move students with break housing reservations to other halls within the Evansdale Residential Complex (Towers).
- Break housing for students with a critical need is available from Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. (noon) - Saturday, January 11, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon). Dates for this break period and the residence hall reopening date for spring semester 2021 are subject to change. Residents will receive advance notice of any changes.
- There are two periods during the fall/winter break from which students may choose; they are expected to stay for the entire period. Housing will not be available for individual nights during the fall/winter break, no refunds will be given, and prorated pricing is not available. Break periods and pricing are as follows:
- November 25 – December 11 (Online Instruction and Finals) $240
- November 25 – January 11 (Entire Break Period) $705
- Other (requires approval; students will be expected to explain their critical need and indicate the dates for which they need housing)
- Only current residents with existing housing contracts (2020-21) are eligible for break housing.
- Services available during break periods are limited, as staffing will be reduced. Staff will be on duty at residence hall main desks.
- Only those who register online and agree to the following terms and conditions will be allowed to stay in the residence halls during any WVU break period:
- Residents are subject to all policies outlined in the University Student Code of Conduct and Residence Hall Community Standards of Conduct.
- To ensure everyone's safety, no guests are permitted.
- Dining during fall/winter Break will be limited; Dining Dollars and Mountie Bounty may be used in designated WVU locations.
- No linens are provided during the break period.
- Fitness centers are not open during the break period.
- If mail service and package delivery are available, they will be limited during the break period.
- Residents will not have access to their regularly assigned residence hall space if their regular hall is not open during the break and they are assigned to an overflow space in the Evansdale Residential Complex (Towers).